Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fruita, CO

We made it to Fruita, CO on Sunday. We are staying in an RV park at the base of Colorado National Monument. It was hoooooot when we got here so we hung out in the trailer most of the day under the AC. There is a little Mexican food restaurant, El Tapatio, that Brent has been talking about since his trip with Warren last year, so we went there for dinner. I had the biggest margarita I ever have seen and then they served the biggest plate of food EVER! I couldn't even eat half of what they served before I was stuffed, stuffed, stuffed. The food was really good, but I still don't know if it topped Nana Garcia's cooking. We were full to the max so we decided to head up the hill to National Monument and take a short one mile hike and work some of the food off. It was still hot and I was so full, but it was well worth it for the view we got.

The next day was errands and clothes washing. It had to be done at some point, didn't it? And then we went to Cousin Sarah's house for dinner. Sarah and her husband Mike cooked up a dinner of bbq chicken, corn on the cob, and yummy sides. I finally got to meet her whole crew (as did Brent). Her kids are even cuter than all the pictures I've see on Facebook! As we were leaving Sarah's house, there was a storm rolling through. All the way back to the park the sky was lit up with lightening!! So pretty!

Today was a pretty mellow day. Brent woke up at 5:30 this morning because he was so excited to go on a bike ride and he wanted to beat the heat. He left and I slept in until 8am. Soooo nice. He came back and then took me on a tour of Fruita. We went up to where he was riding so he could show me the prairie dogs (so cute!). Next on our list was the Dinosaur Museum which Reese informed us was really neat. They has plenty of fossils, bones, and robotic dinosaurs!

We've also been making good use of the pool and drinking enough beer to make Nathan proud as well as soaking up as much sun as we can in this heat (I'm not going to lie. In the middle of the day we really are just soaking up a lot of AC!). Sarah and her babies came over for some swim time today too. Little Kain has no fear of the water and walks right in. He can't swim, but he doesn't seem to mind. He was so mad at me for standing by the edge ready to catch him.

We've had a really nice time here in Fruita even if we didn't hike as much as we said we were going to. It's been too hot. I just can't get excited about hiking in 100 degree weather. Brent and I agree we will have to come back again when the weather is a little cooler to really take advantage of the area. Tomorrow we're off to Craig to invade Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Kenny's house. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment